Monday, April 4, 2011

What's in a (Conference) Name

I just returned from a trade show and conference in Jacksonville, Florida where we represented two of our Subsidiaries, Tepro (resistors) and Arizona Capacitors (obviously capacitors). The name of this conference is CARTS, which stands for Capacitor and Resistor Technical Symposium. Although I believe it could be renamed CATS, as the capacitors have taken over and there is not much in the way of resistors anymore.

The next show I will be attending is for Res-net Microwave. This show is located in Clearwater Beach, Florida and it's name is WAMICON. This stands for Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (the word "Technology" must be implied). This sounds better than RF and Microwave Technology Conference (RFAMICON).

I have never been a big proponent of acronyms, but in the case of some of these trade shows, I think it is for the best, especially when a Tweet is limited to 140 characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment